Posts for tag: dental implants
Dental implants offer an excellent solution to tooth loss. Thanks to the innovative technology behind dental implants, it's now possible to not only replace the visible crown portion of a missing tooth but restore the root as well. General dentist Dr. Kara Mason helps her patients evaluate tooth restoration options in her Midtown New York, NY, office, where she also offers dental implants. Read below to learn if implants are right for you!
Dental implants are unlike any other restoration method
Dental implants consist of small titanium posts placed in openings made in your jawbone. The posts, which serve as artificial roots, then soon begin to bond to the bone. Bonding, the most crucial part of the dental implant process, ensures that your new roots can support the dental crowns that will be attached to them.
Implants help you maintain an attractive, healthy smile
Although you'll need to visit your Midtown dentist for confirmation on the question if you are a good candidate for dental implants, the restoration may be a good choice for you if:
- You want a long-term restoration option: Bridges and dentures don't last forever, as they usually need to be replaced every 10 to 15 years. Implants, on the other hand, may last your entire lifetime with proper care, which can save you money in the long run. (The crowns connected to the implants will need to be replaced periodically, however)
- You don't want to sacrifice biting power: You can bite into hard and sticky foods because your natural teeth are securely rooted in your mouth. Unfortunately, eating these foods can be difficult if you only replace the crown portion of missing teeth. A dental implant restores the entire missing tooth and doesn't cause a loss of biting power.
- Your jawbone is deep: You'll need sufficient jawbone depth to support your new dental implants. If your bone is a little shallow, your dentist may recommend adding bone grafts to build up the jawbone before your implant procedure.
- You're in good health: Poor health can affect healing and make it difficult for your implant to bond to your jawbone. You'll need to be in good oral and general health before your implant can proceed. Uncontrolled diabetes, conditions that affect the immune system, or taking immune system medications may disqualify you from receiving implants.
Are you ready to restore your smile with dental implants? Call Midtown general dentist Dr. Kara Mason at (212) 355-2195 to schedule an appointment.
Dental implants deliver several benefits, such as replacement of missing or extracted teeth. They fill in the gaps where teeth are missing and restore your smile. They also restore normal biting and chewing functions. Dental implants offer several other benefits, as well. At Gentle Dental NYC, Dr. Kara Mason is your Midtown New York dentist for dental implants.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants permanently replace missing teeth. There are three parts to a dental implant, including a metal implant, an abutment, and a crown. The metal implant is installed below the gum line and is drilled into the jawbone. It anchors the entire implant, much like a root anchors a natural tooth. The crown is the replacement tooth and is the only portion of the dental implant visible after installation. The abutment simply holds the crown in place on top of the metal implant.
The crown portion of a dental implant can be made from various materials, but porcelain is common as it closely resembles tooth enamel and gives a natural look. The crown is custom made to perfectly fit your mouth. Crowns made of porcelain, as well as some other materials, can be color matched to your existing teeth. Crowns look and function just like natural teeth so they blend right in. Once installed, no one will know the crown is a replacement tooth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are several benefits to getting dental implants. Your Midtown New York dental implants dentist can help you decide if they are the right tooth replacement choice for you. Some of the benefits of dental implants include the following:
- Restore of your smile
- Replace of missing teeth
- Fill in gaps in your smile
- Look completely natural
- No need for messy dental adhesives
- Restore biting and chewing functions
- Alleviate strain on surrounding teeth
- Improve speech by correcting tongue placement when speaking
The benefits of dental implants are numerous. Not only do they complete your smile, but they also restore tooth functioning, improve speech caused by gaps, and look completely natural. To learn more about dental implants schedule an appointment with Dr. Mason, your Midtown New York dental implants dentist, by calling Gentle Dental NYC at (212) 355-2195.
How dental implants from your Midtown New York City dentist can save your smile
If you have stopped smiling because of missing teeth, it’s time for you to consider dental implants. If you have lost one or more teeth, dental implants may be the right solution for you. If you don’t want to wear a partial or dentures because they move around, dental implants can give you the stability your smile deserves. Dr. Kara Mason at Gentle Dental NYC, in Midtown, New York, NY wants to share the magic of what dental implants can do for your smile.
Many people choose dental implants instead of bridgework, partials or dentures to replace their missing teeth. These are just some of the reasons why dental implants are the treatment-of-choice to complete your smile:
- Implants are natural-looking and beautiful because they look and function just like your natural teeth
- Implants are a permanent addition to your smile because they are embedded in bone and become part of your smile
- Implants are easy to clean because you can brush and floss them just like natural teeth
Implants are also a conservative method of tooth replacement compared to dental bridgework. A dental bridge requires crowning the teeth on both sides of the missing tooth area. With implants, there is no preparation needed of the teeth around the implants.
Dental implants are also more successful than any other surgical implant, with a success rate of over 95 percent!
Your dental implant procedure begins with detailed x-rays and to develop a treatment plan just for you. The implants are placed during a simple in-office procedure. The implants are capped with beautiful crowns after the tissue and bone have healed completely.
Don’t let missing teeth keep you from smiling. You can fill in the gaps with the most natural-looking tooth replacement option available. Your smile can look even better than before, thanks to dental implants. For more information on how to complete your smile with dental implants, call Dr. Kara Mason at Gentle Dental NYC in Midtown, New York, NY. Call today!
Making the decision to restore your smile is an exciting time. However, choosing the right restoration dental procedure can prove to be difficult. Luckily, if you have one or more missing teeth, you have an effective and permanent option to replace them with dental implants. Learn more about dental implants and how they can restore your smile with Dr. Kara Mason at Gentle Dental NYC in Midtown New York, NY.
How do dental implants work?
Dentists use a surgical procedure to implant a small post, called a fixture, into your jawbone. The bone grows around the fixture, permanently holding it in place. After successful integration, your fixture will anchor in place your new prosthetic tooth, a porcelain dental restoration custom-made by a dental laboratory.
What can dental implants do for me?
Dental implants are versatile and can replace one or many missing teeth. Depending on you and your situation, you will probably need one of three different types of dental implants.
- A single tooth replacement involves using one implant to replace one tooth’s root and one porcelain prosthetic tooth to replace the missing tooth itself. However, you will not necessarily need a single implant fixture for each missing tooth.
- If you have a large gap made up of several missing teeth, two implants on either side can hold a dental bridge to replace all the teeth in the row in one fell swoop.
- Finally, four or more implants can hold an implant-supported denture in place to replace all the teeth on an arch.
The Benefits of Dental Implants in New York, NY
Unlike a traditional denture or bridge, implants are a permanent part of your mouth which will last for the rest of your life. Their design also makes them non-removable, requiring no extra cleaning or soaking. Your normal oral care routine of brushing twice daily and flossing once is enough to keep your implants healthy. Implants also function and appear just like normal teeth, subtly blending into your smile.
For more information on dental implants or how they can help your smile, please contact Dr. Kara Mason at Gentle Dental NYC in Midtown New York, NY. Call (212) 355-2195 to schedule your consultation for dental implants with Dr. Mason today!