Posts for: January, 2017
How visiting your dentist in Midtown can protect the health of your smile
It’s easy to procrastinate if you have a busy schedule. One appointment you shouldn’t avoid is visiting your dentist regularly. Don’t ignore your dental visits because if you do, a small dental issue can turn into a bigger and potentially painful dental problem. Dr. Kara Mason, at GentleDentalNYC in Midtown New York, NY wants to share the importance of regular visits to your dentist.
Your oral hygiene regimen of brushing and flossing is a great start to maintaining your smile. However, only your dentist can know if you have dental decay, need a root canal or need periodontal therapy to maintain your oral health.
Dr. Mason uses only state-of-the-art tools like digital x-rays and laser technology to examine your teeth to determine if you have decay and to check the health of the roots of your teeth. She will also check your soft tissue for any evidence of oral cancer and examine your gums for signs and symptoms of periodontal disease.
If you ignore your regular dental visits, bad problems can happen to your smile, including:
- Untreated gum disease can turn into periodontal disease
- Untreated dental decay or periodontal disease can turn into your need for a root canal or a possible tooth extraction
- Tooth loss can turn into your need for a partial, denture or implants
There are some simple yet effective habits you can adopt to maintain your oral health:
- Visit your dentist every six months for professional cleanings
- Brush with fluoridated toothpaste at least twice a day
- Floss teeth at least once a day, preferably before bedtime
- Use an ADA-approved mouthwash
- Avoid sugar and other processed carbs, which can increase plaque buildup
Regular dental visits are important to save your smile and your general health. Brushing and flossing are not enough to protect you from dental problems. You need to partner with an expert. You need to call Dr. Mason at GentleDentalNYC in Midtown New York, NY. Don’t procrastinate when it comes to your smile and your oral health. Call and schedule an appointment today!